Is there a guy in your life who keeps looking at you mysteriously?
Are you trying to figure out if he likes you or if he’s just in your head?
In this article, I’m going to share the 10 most surprising signs that he likes you by the way he looks at you, as sometimes his eyes say more than words!
1) His eye contact game is strong
Ladies, if there’s a surefire way to tell a guy likes you by the way he looks at you, it’s through eye contact.
You know what I’m talking about… he keeps looking up and when he meets your gaze he holds his gaze.
Maybe it’s the guy who glances at you across the bar or your colleague who always makes eye contact when you pass him in the office.
The truth is, you will know he likes you because it will happen more than once.
Of course, we make eye contact with people every day, even if we’re not attracted to them.
But if he likes you, he’ll try to get your attention whenever he sees you. He will maintain eye contact whenever you talk. He’s letting you know that you have his attention.
Now, there are different types of eye contact:
- The fiery gaze. That means he’s attracted to you, especially if he looks you up and down too (more on that a little later).
- The cheeky look. This is fun, you might notice a slight smile forming as he looks at you.
- The intense gaze. This could mean a number of things – he’s in awe of his beauty, he’s listening intently to what you have to say, he’s intrigued by you.
And while there’s no doubt that eye contact is a sign that he likes you, it could also be his way of finding out if you feel the same way he does by seeing if you return his gaze.
2) He can’t stop looking at you
Okay, the look can be in two ways:
- Flattering and exciting.
- Scary and weird.
The first type will make him nervous and excited but in a good way.
You realize he can’t take his eyes off you. Maybe you’ll catch him looking at you whenever you walk by, or while sipping your coffee at your table.
So what makes guys stare when they like you?
Well, it’s human nature. We naturally look at the things we like – the sunsets, pretty colors, art, the list could go on! The same applies to people we care about.
When a guy looks at you, it’s because he likes what he sees. If you already know this guy, he might just stare at you while he imagines what it would be like to ask you out.
Or he might just stare because he wants to learn more about you. As he looks at you, he can understand your body language, facial expressions, and reactions.
On the other hand, we have a scary look.
There’s a fine line between good and bad, and it usually depends on whether or not you like the person.
Think about it, if it’s that handsome guy you’re in love with, you’ll take his looks as a compliment. If he’s a guy you find repulsive, you’ll likely resent the fact that he can’t stop looking at you.
But with that in mind, if a guy keeps looking at you and it makes you uncomfortable, you should either walk away or ask him to stop. Especially if you have to work together.
Some guys don’t realize they’re doing it, but looking too hard can get scary.
3) He looks away when you look at him
Another surprising sign that he likes you is the way he looks at you, and if he quickly looks away when you catch him looking at you.
Why do guys do this?
There are a few possible reasons:
- Is he shy or introverted
- He doesn’t want to be “too bold”
- He thinks you don’t like him either, so he doesn’t want to be embarrassed
- He was looking at you for another reason and doesn’t want to give the wrong impression that he likes you.
So, delete the last point on the list, if he looks at you and quickly looks away, there’s a good chance he’s into you.
He may be nervous about making eye contact, and while he can’t stop looking at you, he doesn’t want to make the situation awkward.
But similarly, he might not realize he’s looking and that’s why he quickly looks away when you see you. Either way, it’s a sign that he likes what he sees!
4) His pupils dilate when he looks at you
This might not be the easiest sign to spot – you’ll need to look him in the eye for a few seconds – but it’s a telltale sign nonetheless.
Research has shown that when we see someone we are attracted to, the chemicals dopamine and oxytocin are released into our system. They are often called “happiness hormones”.
They give us a sense of well-being, but that’s not all.
When these chemicals are released, the pupils in the eyes dilate.
So while you probably don’t want to get too close to see the size of the pupils, if you get the chance, make sure they’re bigger than normal!
5) You catch him smiling at the little things you do
This will depend on the situation you find yourself in – if it’s a guy you meet on the street who gives you “the look”, this may not apply to you.
But if it’s a guy you go to school or work with, or maybe a guy you’re friends with, you can easily spot this sign.
And it’s as simple as noticing their facial expressions whenever you’re around.
Maybe he smiles whenever you’re talking, even if it’s not to him, or you catch him smiling at you for no apparent reason.
The truth is, if he always has a cheeky smile when you’re around, it’s probably because you make him happy, and he enjoys it.
He thinks you’re cute and can’t help but show it.
When my partner and I first met, before we started dating, he would smile whenever I laughed at something. It was adorable.
And it was also the ultimate sign to me that he liked me.
So if your guy can’t hide his happiness when you’re around, you can bet he likes you!
6) He looks you up and down
I mentioned this briefly above – it’s a definite sign of interest.
When a guy looks you up and down, he’s probably checking you out. Some women don’t appreciate it, and some guys definitely go overboard.
But if you like a guy and you want him to like you too, this is a good start.
By looking at you with his eyes, not only does he show that he finds you attractive, but he is also initiating his desire to talk to you or ask you out.
But there are other reasons he might do this – he might be trying to understand your body language to know whether to make a move or not.
Or… it’s just something about the way you walk and move your body. He’s captivated and can’t help but admire you to your fullest!
7) He looks confused
Not every man is Mr. Soft-spoken gray who hardly breaks a sweat during the act of seduction.
Most guys are nervous around a woman they like. They have the same reactions most women would have if they had to ask someone out.
So if you notice that his cheeks are flushed, he smiles eagerly, or he keeps biting his lips or fidgeting, it’s a sign that he probably likes you.
Now, even if you had great eye contact and he seems self-assured, don’t be fooled, he can get nervous when you’re around.
He may stumble over his words, laugh for a few seconds longer, or appear overwhelmed. This is normal. Especially if he’s a shy guy.
And if he has Mr. Grey?
You can still notice her flushed cheeks and glowing eyes. It will probably be more from excitement and anxiety than nervousness, but it’s still an impossible sign for him to hide!
8) He tilts his head when you speak
This is another telltale sign that he likes you for the way he looks at you – the classic head tilt.
You may have seen it in the movies, the guy missing the girl he likes, his head tilted slightly to the side, a slight smile playing on his lips.
So why do guys do this when they like a girl?
Well, one of the reasons is that he’s showing he’s listening to you. When you’re in a conversation and he leans forward, he’ll instinctively tilt his head to hear you better and show you have his focus.
But it can also be a “come over here” look, showing their interest and attraction to you. Your body is naturally reacting to your presence, inviting you into its space and making it clear that you’ve caught its attention!
9) He raises his eyebrows at you
Did you notice him arching his eyebrows at you?
Does when you speak, does he lift just one of them in a seductive manner? Like he’s enjoying the whole interaction… or you’ve said something insanely interesting and he can’t help but raise his eyebrow in surprise.
Another reason is that when we like something we see, we instinctively raise our eyebrows to open our eyes wider. So we can see even better who we are attracted to!
Some guys even quickly raise their double eyebrows as they pass you – if this is combined with an intense dose of eye contact, you can be sure he likes you.
10) He blinks more than usual
And finally, a sign that he likes you for the way he looks at you is if he blinks more than usual.
Well, I’m not saying you should count his blink rate per minute (nobody has time for that), but you might notice this casually when you’ve been face to face for a few minutes.
You may not know this interesting fact, but our burst rate actually increases when we are excited.
And that excitement can come from seeing someone attractive.
The average blink rate per minute is believed to be between 15-20. So if the guy you have in mind exceeds that when he’s looking at you, he’s either got something in his eye or he’s completely interested in you!
What does it mean when a guy looks you in the eye?
The way a man looks into your eyes can indicate how he thinks about you. Here are some explanations of what the different appearances mean.
- Quick Look: Basically, when eyes wander around and eye contact is made coincidentally. Eye contact will be made for a split second before breaking. There’s probably nothing behind it, so don’t think too much about it.
- Intentional Gaze: If a guy is interested in you, he will definitely set eyes on you. Occasionally, eye contact will be made and he will let go of his shyness. Their body language can tell if they are giving you more than a fleeting glance. You may be able to show a small smile, as seeing it brings you joy. How they break eye contact can also be revealing. They will likely be attracted to you if they intentionally break your gaze down. An aversion to the side gaze is most likely an unintentional gaze.
- Long stare: This can be hard to notice as it is very subtle. An intentional gaze might last a second, while a long gaze might last a little longer, usually two seconds. A guy will break eye contact, but he’ll stare longer because he finds you attractive. He definitely has an interest in you if he gives you that look.
- Do a double take: This can be a strong sign that a guy likes you. If you make eye contact and they feel they’ve been welcomed, they’ll look at you again.
- The gaze: this is when a guy continually keeps his eyes on yours for at least five seconds. This is a pretty clear sign of attraction. He’s probably trying to send some signals. It will be especially blatant if he is smiling.
What does it mean when a guy can’t look you in the eye?
Eye contact can be uncomfortable for most men. You might notice that guy will look away when you look at him.
It can almost seem like they regret noticing you.
This usually comes from insecurity or fear of exposing yourself to other people. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then a guy might not be comfortable with what you’re looking at. Here are some potential reasons a man might try to look away.
- Anxiety: Anyone with social anxiety will have difficulty making eye contact. Making eye contact increases the feeling of vulnerability. If a guy with social anxiety avoids your gaze, it doesn’t necessarily mean he likes you. They may just be nervous. It’s a good idea to check if they have difficulty making eye contact with other people.
- They like you: Men really like to hide their feelings. Looking away could mean they like you a lot. Chances are they are afraid to reveal their feelings to you. If you can get a look at his eyes, try looking at his pupils. They usually grow up when they’re around someone they’re attracted to.
- They are not interested: On the other hand, they may not find you particularly interesting at the moment. Your eyes may look away to find something more interesting. That doesn’t mean they think you’re boring. They might just not be interested in what you’re talking about, or they might be busy with something else. Use the eye test to get a possible read on them.
Eye movements and body language to watch out for in a guy
There are certain clues you can read in a man’s eyes or body that can tell if he’s interested in you.
- Looking up while your head is down: Looking up with your head down can make people appear demure. Eye contact can signify attraction, while a low head is usually a sign of submission. They might be a little intimidated by you; this probably stems from shyness and not wanting you to know how they feel. Looking down and away can also be a sign of submission.
- Dilated pupils: Enlarged pupils can be a sign that he likes you. Eyes increase in size when someone is excited about something. This is a small clue to watch out for, but it could mean that they are excited to be around you.
- Raised eyebrows: This is a good sign that a man is interested in something. If he raises his eyebrows when he sees you, he might have strong feelings for you.
- Blinking: This is definitely a very revealing sign of attraction. It might be a slightly suggestive greeting for you. On the other hand, it may just be a simple sign of mutual understanding, especially if the others are unaware of what is going on between the two of you.
- Leaning forward when speaking: If you can talk to the guy, try to see if he leans forward. If he does, it means he’s interested in what you have to say and probably very interested in you. But, keep in mind what’s around you. Leaning forward could mean he’s only trying to hear you if you’re in a noisy environment.
- They hang around: A possible sign of interest is when a guy slightly invades your personal space to be close to you. You can do a little test by getting a little closer to yourself. If he maintains his position, he will be receptive to you. If he approaches you, he is almost certain to like you.
How to Tell a Guy Who’s Looking at You That You’re Interested
You might be lucky enough to catch the guy you like looking at you, or you might find the stranger looking at you kind of cute. But how can you reciprocate any potential feelings? Here are some things you can do without being direct.
- flashing: This can be a welcoming gesture to a guy. It conveys interest and also confidence. You can make them blush if they are shy.
- Playing with your hair: Maintain eye contact, because messing with your hair can drive a man wild. This tells him that you are interested in him and that he better act.
- Eyes blinking and fluttering: You might unknowingly start blinking faster if you like a guy. You can send a clear and intentional message if you flick your eyelashes. It can be a cute way to tell him he has your attention.
Finding out if a guy likes you isn’t an easy task, but with luck, with these non-verbal signals, you’ll have a better idea the next time you see him around!
The truth is, the eyes never lie. So if he’s giving you any of these signs, he has a good chance that he’s attracted to you.
The question is, do you feel the same way?
If so, be sure to send them some flirty looks your way and see what happens!